Quinoa Salad That's Perfect for a Picnic
I can not take credit for this beautiful salad. I can only say that when trying to accomodate a gluten, dairy and egg allergy in an attempt at a perfect picnic some internet research may be required. In order to fill that order I turned to the Gluten Free Goddess.
Her Kalamata Olive Quinoa Salad was a perfect choice for this particular occasion.
"Amounts are approximations, a template to guide you.
Salad making is more of an art than science."
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked quinoa
- A handful of sweet grape tomatoes- I went with yellow (lower acidity)
- 1 carrot, grated (fun!!)
- 4 scallions, sliced (white and light green sections)
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, whole or pitted and chopped (he LOVES these olives)
- 1/3 cup slivered nuts- pecans, almonds or walnuts (i went with walnuts)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves - (fresh is key)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of 1-2 lemons or limes, depending upon size (I went with lime - big hit)
- Rub the clove of raw garlic inside a glass or ceramic salad bowl.
- While the cooked quinoa is still a bit warm (but not steaming hot) scoop it into a bowl and fluff with a fork.
- Quarter the yellow tomatoes and add them to the bowl.
- Add in the grated carrot, sliced scallions, Kalamata olives, and slivered nuts.
- Toss lightly to combine.
- Season with sea salt and ground pepper.
- Add the chopped fresh herbs.
- Drizzle the salad with extra virgin olive oil- enough to moisten. Toss to distribute.
- Squeeze a lemon or a lime all over the salad and toss.