A Dinner Recipe Yet to Be Titled - Name that Dish!
Last week we put dessert first, this week Casey Cocoa Butter brings us an on-the-fly dinner recipe that combines popular household ingredients with common kitchen cabinet snacks. She simply titled this "Dinner". Happy Hudson Valley would love to see your creative working title for this week's recipe masterpiece.
So, in order to contribute to my life-at-home in the dorm which sometimes gets ignored due to a capricious school schedule, I decided to branch out from my usual inclination for all things pasty and make dinner for my roommates. Girls Gotta Eat, after all! And, while the dinner may not have been a "complete dish" [ie- including veg, starch, and protein]...it was pretty delicious and SUPER easy. As you may have noticed with some of my recipes, I like to do the unexpected and integrate some surprise ingredients. For that special touch I went to the local farmers market and grabbed awesome fresh veggies and incorporated them. Those staple items along with some basic ingredients and a pinch of the college kid go-to... cheez-its :]YOU'LL NEED:
- 1 Cup Apple Cider
- 1 bag Cheez-its [ground up]
- 1 # Brussel sprouts
- 1/4 Onion + 2tbsp [diced]
- 2 Cloves of garlic [diced]
- 1 Jalepeno [sliced]
- 1 Small apple [diced]
- 1 # potatoes [any kind you like]1 Tbsp butter
1. Cut up your onions, garlic, jalepeno, potatoes, and crush your cheez-its 2. Sweat your onions and garlic in a tbsp of oil in a hot pan
3. Once the onions are translucent, add in your jalepenos, cheezits and potatoes. add about a cup of water, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender - When potatoes are tender, whip with with a hand mixer, or mash by hand-
Casey Cocoa Butter is a California Girl Studying Baking and Pastries at the famed Culinary Institute in Hyde Park. Check out her personal Blog and look for her weekly contributions to Happy Hudson Valley!